California Anglerby Eugene Kim
- 01/31/12 - 03/01/12
It's been about a month since we last talked and I'm happy to announce that California Angler has been approved and is now on sale in the App Store!
In a nutshell, we've had multiple delays with development and I think it's simply been a case of "you get what you paid for", unfortunately. If I could've shelled out $20k for a good iPhone developer here in the US, I feel things would've been different! But instead we're limited to a fraction of that budget (as is usually the case) and we've had to make do. But I've really ridden the devs hard over the past 2 months to raise their quality standards, to which they've responded well. I don't plan to market the app just yet because it still has plenty of bugs to work out before I'm satisfied, but getting it in the App Store is a huge milestone for us.
So again, next steps are to fix those bugs as quickly as possible. I've also been working on some designs for improvements and new features so we'll work on that afterward.
Thanks again for your support—please let me know if you have any questions.
What is California Angler?
A niche fishing app targeted specifically towards California's saltwater anglers! According to the California Department of Fish and Game, approximately 2 million anglers purchase a fishing license each year (which doesn't include the millions more who fish California's free fishing piers). Providing robust journaling features and species identification, California Angler seeks to serve this audience within the mobile space.
- Post reports including photos, videos, species name, weight, and length
- Easily include additional details such as brand and model information for lines, lures, rods, and reels
- Automatically fill in data based on geo-location and time-based historical data (from NOAA and other sources) for details such as air temp, water temp, tides, and moon phase
- View maps and track your recent outings
- Analyze and compare species catch statistics on a daily, weekly, or hourly basis
- Browse reports of other fishermen up and down the California coast
- Convenient access to over 120+ beautifully illustrated saltwater and anadromous species with detailed identification information
- Access to current DFG regulations (PDF download)
- Share reports with your Facebook friends
Please note the species content and information shown in the designs above may be incorrect and are for mockup purposes only. There's no such thing as a barbelfish, ok?
How far along are we?
- Wireframes and information architecture (100% complete)
- Visual design mockups (100% complete)
- Species identification content (100% complete)
- Species illustrations (100% complete)
- Manufacturer brand/model data (10% complete)
What are we raising funds for?
We've invested a lot of our own personal time and money to make sure this is a viable product, but we need a little help in getting our project over the hump.
- Development: Our 3rd-party developers have reviewed the UI documentation and provided initial estimates for time and cost. We hope to start work immediately with a completion date by the end of January.
- Marketing: Obviously we hope to have good word of mouth, but will also explore advertising within fishing-related publications and outlets. In addition, we will promote the app at the 2012 Fred Hall Show in Long Beach, CA.
- Research and Future Updates: We're committed to creating a solid foundation in order to support additional features. Whether that's being able to view bathymetry data or examine realtime chlorophyll charts on the go, we've got big ideas in store!
As mentioned above, we've already raised some funds ourselves but still need around $2000 - $3000 more to cover development costs. We'd like to have another $2000 available for our marketing efforts and the rest would go towards research and continued updates.
How did we determine the app price?
Pricing an app is difficult. At this time, we've decided on $9.99 as the sweet spot for California Angler. After doing some competitive analysis, we came across a couple similar apps that we were tempted to undercut, but felt like our product would be significantly more complex and superior to justify charging a higher price. We certainly want to provide buyers their money's worth and we think the quality and unique content will satisfy that.
What sets us apart?
We are user experience professionals with a passion for fishing California's rich waters. In each design decision we make, our goal is to provide the cleanest and most user-friendly experience possible. It's about sharing your experience and getting up-to-date information, not fumbling around with your mobile device. We've got a wealth of knowledge in mobile design and we want to take advantage of today's technology to enhance the angler's fishing knowledge and enjoyment.
How you can help!
Help fund my app by becoming a backr!
- Click the "Back this App" button to the right
- Enter the amount you'd like to invest (enter a rounded number and appbackr will figure out the exact amount)
- Check the box to accept the appbackr agreement and click the "Proceed to Paypal" button
- Sign into Paypal and approve the amount
Voila! Thanks for your support!
02/17/2012 - We've discussed with the developers again and agreed that the latest build still isn't ready to be launched. They've provided me a new schedule that will push our launch date to March 7th. We apologize for the late notice and want to assure you that we're working hard to get this right. Thanks for your patience.
02/08/2012 - We're in constant communication with our developers and they've let us know that they need just a few more days to complete the app. We've agreed to push the date back to February 18, 2012, but we're happy to report that what we've seen so far is looking good. Also remember that we'll be working on bug fixes and improvements after the
launch—the product will remain relevant and viable (in other words, we're gonna do our best to keep selling it!)
In the meantime, please contact us soon if you'd like to beta test the app. We'd need a couple things from you:
- Name, address, phone number, and email address (For NDA purposes—we won't use it for anything else)
- Your iPhone's UDID (Check out
http://www.innerfence.com/howto/find-iphone-unique-device-identifier-udid for instructions)
01/25/2012 - We had a good discussion with our developers and agreed to push back our launch date to February 15, 2012. We just weren't happy with the quality of the builds being provided so we asked them to go back and rework some parts of the app. Thanks for your patience and understanding—we'll do this right!
01/07/2012 - We'll be sending out beta invites to our backrs as soon as we have a build that we're comfortable with.
12/24/2011 - Oh wow, thanks so much to all our backrs and appbackr! We've met our reserve and have pre-sold just under 700 copies of the app. It's on like Donkey Kong!!